Current:Home > NewsSurpassing:Florida prosecutor says suspect in deadly Halloween shooting will be charged as an adult -Capitatum
Surpassing:Florida prosecutor says suspect in deadly Halloween shooting will be charged as an adult
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 03:00:09
The Surpassing17-year-old suspect in a shooting last week that killed two people and injured eight during Halloween celebrations in downtown Orlando, Florida, has been charged as an adult, authorities said.
Jaylen Dwayne Edgar was charged as an adult with two counts of second-degree murder with a firearm and one count of attempted murder with a firearm, State Attorney Andrew Bain said Monday. The case will be presented to a grand jury, which could decide to elevate the charges to first-degree murder, Bain said.
Edgar will face additional charges as the investigation continues, authorities said.
"This decision was not made lightly and only after a review of all available evidence," Bain said in a statement Monday. "I have personally reviewed all available records and video evidence in this case and there is no question this individual should be charged as an adult."
The Orlando Police Department estimated about 75,000 people were gathered in downtown Orlando to celebrate Halloween last week when gunfire broke out overnight. Early Friday, two people were killed and seven were wounded by gunfire, authorities said.
Another person was hospitalized after being trampled on while trying to run to safety, Bain said. The victims were ages 19 to 39, according to Orlando Police Chief Eric Smith.
Bain said responding police officers immediately identified Edgar as the gunman and "took him into custody moments after the shooting." Prosecutors were working with the Orlando Police Department and have asked the public to submit any videos or pictures from the night of the shooting.
"To shoot into a massive crowd like that shows a total disregard for life and the only recourse is to charge the defendant as an adult because it fits the egregious nature of the crime," Bain said in the statement.
'Troubling trends':Guns remain leading cause of death for children and teens in the US, report says
What happened in the downtown Orlando shooting?
According to Smith, officers responded to shots fired around 1 a.m. Friday in the area of Central Boulevard and Orange Avenue before police witnessed a second shooting about a block away,
A total of nine people were hit by gunfire, in which two were pronounced dead, according to police. The six victims who were wounded were taken to the Orlando Regional Medical Center and were in stable condition, Smith said.
Another person who suffered a gunshot wound took herself to a local hospital, police said.
Police released surveillance and body-camera footage showing a crowd of thousands of people in the streets when the suspect opened fire, causing chaos as people fled. Within seconds, at least eight officers surrounded the person who was shot.
A few minutes later, footage captured the suspect rushing through the crowd before additional shots were fired. Officers apprehended the suspect when he tried to leave the scene.
Authorities said the shooting occurred on one of the city's busiest nights of the year as tens of thousands of people gathered to celebrate Halloween. About 100 officers were in the area at the time to provide security, Smith said.
The incident was the latest mass shooting in the United States. At least 445 mass shootings have occurred this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit organization that defines mass shootings as incidents involving four or more victims.
Contributing: Gabe Hauari and Christopher Cann, USA TODAY; C.A. Bridges, USA TODAY NETWORK - Florida
veryGood! (14)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Contraceptives will be available without a prescription in New York following a statewide order
- Retired Belarusian hockey player Konstantin Koltsov dies in Florida at 42
- Drones and robots could replace some field workers as farming goes high-tech
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Horoscopes Today, March 18, 2024
- US farms are increasingly reliant on contract workers who are acutely exposed to climate extremes
- The Truth About Those Aaron Taylor-Johnson Bond Casting Rumors
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Jimmie Allen's former manager agrees to drop sexual assault lawsuit, stands by accusation
Ranking
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Lollapalooza lineup 2024: SZA, Blink-182, The Killers among headliners
- Washington's cherry trees burst into peak bloom, crowds flock to see famous blossoms
- Key questions as Trump hurtles toward deadline to pay $454 million fraud penalty
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- 2 Vermont communities devastated by summer flooding seek $3.5M to elevate homes for victims
- NIT is practically obsolete as more teams just blow it off. Blame the NCAA.
- Brother of Michigan Rep. Dan Kildee killed by family member, sheriff says
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Oprah Winfrey Shares Why Her Use of Weight Loss Drugs Provided “Hope”
Arizona lawmaker resigns after report of sexual misconduct allegation in college
Judge denies Apple’s attempt to dismiss a class-action lawsuit over AirTag stalking
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Last suspect in Philadelphia bus stop shooting that wounded 8 is captured in Virginia
Taylor Swift's Eras Tour crowd caused earthquake-like tremors. These 5 songs shook SoFi Stadium the most.
Tennessee nurse practitioner known as ‘Rock Doc’ gets 20 years for illegally prescribing opioids